Canadian Info

Border/Bridge Crossing

(800) 715-6722 Current Border Crossing Traffic Conditions

Please know that the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative went into effect June 1, 2009 for land and sea travel into the United States.

The WHTI requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. For more detailed information regarding accepted documentation and additional information please go to 

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 yrs. and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children 18 yrs. and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

It is strongly recommended that all travelers leaving the U.S. verify the specific documentary requirements for their destination country. This information is available through, or by consulting with the embassy of the country you are visiting to determine what documents are needed to meet the entry requirements of that country. These requirements could include a birth certificate, passport, or passport and visa for entry into that country.

Be sure to visit for updates on travel documents and details as to when new requirements will take effect.

Citizens of other Countries:
Must have a valid Passport (and may also require a Visitor's Visa).
For additional information on exceptions to the standard requirements, please refer to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) or U.S. Department of State.


All Canadian and U.S. citizens traveling by air between Canada and the United States are required to have a valid passport to enter the United States.

For recent traffic information, especially regarding bridge crossing, visit NITTEC